Our funding competitions are split into two categories: a strategic call focussing on future unmet needs and a more reactive call focussing on the immediate needs in surgery.
For more information on the Surgical MIC funding streams, please download this guide.
- Application process is closed for 2022
Other funding opportunities
The following are links to other funding streams that are suitable for joint applications with the NIHR Surgical MIC. We advise all potential applicants to discuss their potential applications well in advance of the application deadline.
- NIHR Invention for Innovation (i4i) Product Development Awards – Call 24 – 07 December 2022
- Research internships in science and engineering – 15 December 2022 (Forecast)
- Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) Small research pump priming grants – 15 December 2022 (Forecast)
- BASO Cancer surgery research grants – 04 February 2023 (Forecast)
- DiGinnovation – supporting digital health start-ups on their way to reimbursement – 01 March 2023
- NIHR Invention for innovation (i4i) Connect – 27 April 2023 (Forecast)
- Surgical robot challenge – 30 April 2023 (Forecast)
- Digital Innovation Hub Healthcare Robotics Technology Demonstrator – 30 April 2023 (Forecast)
- Innovate UK Biomedical catalyst – industry-led R&D – 25 May 2023 (Forecast)
- Short industry fellowship – 02 June 2023 (Forecast)
- NIHR Invention for innovation (i4i) Challenge Awards – 02 June 2023 (Forecast)
- Global Incubator Programme to USA (Houston) – Healthtech – 27 July 2023
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): BRAIN Initiative: Translation of Groundbreaking Technologies from Early-stage Development through Early Clinical Study via Blueprint MedTech – 21 June 2024
Funding streams with no time limits
Innovator Awards – no time limits
Global Innovation Fund – rolling deadline
British Heart Foundation New Horizons Grants – no deadline
Pancreatic Cancer Scotland – Pump-priming research grants – no time limits