We believe instilling these skills and interdisciplinary ethos in the next generation of clinicians, scientists, researchers and industry representatives is vital if we are to improve the translation of technologies for patient benefit. We aim to expand the benefits of the MedTech Foundation to other institutes and MICs nationally via a “Hub” and “Spoke” expansion model.
MedTech Foundation Spokes are affiliated groups of students and trainees from areas outside Leeds. They promote the activity of MedTech Foundation at their localities and provide the extended network for the MedTech Foundation making it a national collaborative initiative.
- Increase clinical and research capacity in medtech innovation to develop new concepts, demonstrate proof-of-concept and devise research protocols
- Increase exposure and links with small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) across the country
- Share knowledge and expertise nationally
- Develop the next generation of researchers and innovators
At present we have MedTech Foundation Spokes at (click on the location name for more information):
- Trainee Lead James Glasbey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Postgraduate Lead Thomas Dale MacLaine
- Kings College London
- Undergraduate Lead Brandon Smith (email@example.com)
They will be running their own Innovation Programme this year, please contact them to get involved.
If you don’t see your academic or clinical institute on the list above, please do contact us and we can discuss setting up a Spoke in collaboration with you.
What are we offering as the “Hub”?
To facilitate the development and growth of our spokes, Leeds, as the “Hub” will provide a set of common support services:
- Support from the NIHR Surgical MedTech Co-operative
- Connection into national NIHR networks
- Marketing and national communications via hub communication channels
- Access to proof of concept and other collaboration/events/funding opportunities
- Project coordination/management support